Friday, March 04, 2005

Post of the Day

"And then a funny thing happened, which was that I started to use this new tool for all sorts of things I'd never imagined I could do. Different ways to put things together. I became a cabinet maker. I bought a computer. I went to Tokyo and got myself hired into the hottest artificial intelligence project on the planet at the time. Yeah, just like that. With no background, no formal education, no credentials. Knowledge engineering struck me as another way to put things together. When I discovered that it didn't work, I started writing. Words, sentences, pictures, stories. Bricolage. Little bits of stuff you pick up along the way, having no earthly idea what they might be good for. Then encountering situations where, oh look, that bit might fit right here. How cool. And this thing that looks like a Dada bicycle pump might make a good paragraph ending."

1 comment:

Christopher Locke said...

thanks for the link. that was my favorite, too. ;-)