Saturday, January 08, 2005

Rules To Live By

Feed My Strengths. Make sure I have opportunities to involve myself with others in situations where my input is valued.
Face My Weaknesses. Realize and accept that some traits are strengths and some are weaknesses. By facing my weaknesses, I can overcome them and they will have less power over me.
Express My Feelings. Understand that my feelings are as important as others are in the overall situation. Without my feelings and needs being valued the best result is not realised, so value and speak to my own feelings as much as I do those of others.
Make Decisions. Don't be afraid to have an opinion. [!] I need to know show others the qualities and potentials I can see are worthy of action.
Smile at Criticism. Try to see why disagreement and discord indicate the differences between people, and use this as an opportunity to make my value judgements useful for growth, because that's exactly what they are. Try not to feel responsible for another’s criticism, but try to hear it and understand the feelings and images it engenders within me. Then I may see a path not only to agreement but to a shared and truly valuable end.
Be Aware of Others. Remember that there are 15 other personality types out there who see things differently than I see them. Most of my problems with other people are easier to deal with if I try to understand the other person's perspective.
Be Aware of Myself. Don't stint my own needs for the sake of others too much. Realise I am an important focus. If I do not fulfil my own needs, how will I continue to be effective and how will others know I am true to my beliefs?
Be Gentle in My Expectations. It is easy for me to see the value in others, but stressing this too much can drive them away. Try to show that I understand their fears and limitations and lead them gently to see how I feel.
Assume the Best. Don't distress myself by feeling that my values are lost upon others – they are not. Perhaps it just has to sit with them too. Let the situation resolve itself and never stop believing that love is the true answer.
When in Doubt, Ask Questions. Don't assume that the lack of feedback is the same thing as negative feedback. If I need feedback and don't have any, I'm to ask for it.

( Flap my arms and fly to the moon.)

No comments: